History and Parameters Sightseeing Tour
Ano Mera is the second bigger village after Mykonos Town and is one of the oldest villages of Mykonos. It offers a few luxurious hotels and some rooms and studios for rent. It is a quiet village where locals are continuing their everyday life without being interrupted by a crowd of tourists, as is happening all the time in the capital. Near Ano Mera is the interesting monastery of Panagia Tourliani which main church houses a superb collection of icons made by a Cretan painter and holy vessels and vestments. The wonderful bell-tower and marble fountain are in the courtyard of the monastery and are worth-seeing.
MONASTERY PANAGIA TOULIANI
The monastery of Panagia Tourliani is placed 8km far from Chora town, in Ano Mera village. The construction was originally built in 1542 by two priests and was initially named after the Presentation of the Virgin Mary. The monastery was restored in 1767 and took its present name after an icon of the Virgin Mary found in the nearby area of Tourlos. Since then, Panagia Tourliani became the patroness of the island and celebrates on August, 15th.
The architecture of the monastery is rather impressive, with a whitewashed exterior and a colored dome. A beautiful marble fountain is found in the yard outside the church. In the interior of the church, we can see an impressive wooden iconostasis (altar screen) made in 1775 by Florentine artists. There are icons of apostoles and saints on the iconostasis as well as scenes from the New Testament. The screen is decorated with green, red and golden flowers.
The hanging incense holders are decorated with silver dragons having red eggs in their mouth, which show the Eastern influence. The monastery also has a small ecclesiastical museum which includes wood carvings, embroideries, vestments, holy icons and the first bells of the monastery. To the southeast of the Monastery of Panagia Tourliani, about 1 km away, you will find the Monastery of Paleokastro, built in the 12th century and also worth to visit.
The Mykonos Getaway Team has chosen this beach as a representation of the beautiful beaches the island has to offer. Even though it is considered a rather quiet beach for the standards of Mykonos, Kalafatis has been a favorite place for this reason. Its blue waters and the white sand create the ultimate combination for a swimming paradise.
Photographs are the essence of memories. On our tours we want you to have the opportunity to create as many memories and possible to make your getaway unforgettable. Your tour guide will stop at the best points to create an impeccable background to your holiday photographs.
- We are a family business with expert local knowledge of the island and offer professional drivers, who will both assist & inform.
- Our company has been developing since 1969 encapsulating three generations of local expertise.
- Our approach is simple: to use our local knowledge of the island to provide our clients with the highest service standards.
- Our mission is providing the perfect tours for your memorable holiday.
MYKONOS GETAWAY PRIVATE TOURS
- Do it like the locals, every guest is welcomed as a friend.
- Experience the best the island has to offer on one of our private island tours.
- The tour includes a private mini-bus with a driver and English-speaking tour guide.
- Your tour guide will show you the fantastic attractions and highlights of the island whilst tailoring the tour if you have any special requests.
- If you are on a cruise ship that stops in Mykonos for a few hours, this may be the perfect opportunity to explore the island in the short amount of time you have.